We know how important your plants are and the care you give them, all the information you collect to be well informed and attentive, new seeds, growing phases, caring for them, antiplagas and endless information. Therefore, today we want to talk to you about the different LED systems to grow.
Types of LED lights for growing
There are mainly 2 types of LED lights on the market that are most often used for growing cannabis. Each model has its pros and cons, so we could say that the perfect LED does not yet exist.
It is made up of several small LEDs distributed over a large area. Examples with this style are Quantum plates or “spider style” LED lights.
- Quantum boards. This style of LED tends to have relatively low wattage diodes that are spread across a board. They are becoming more popular lately as they offer very good results for the amount of power used.
- Spider led. “Spider-style” LEDs are similar to quantum boards in that the individual diodes are spread out and tend to be on the smaller side, but are placed on a panel with “arms” rather than a solid board. These usually have a higher price, but you get better results.
These types of LED lights use huge COB (chip on board) “bulbs”. Each COB is incredibly bright and intense because it contains multiple LED chips in a very small area. COBs produce more intense light than other types of LEDs, and each uses a significant amount of electricity.
Rather than having dozens of small diodes, COB style LED grow lights generally only have a handful of huge COB lights, each with strong lenses to direct the light onto the plant. These are rapidly gaining popularity and are known to have deep plant canopy penetration. We can find COB style LED lights in two different ways:
- Bars. The 1-bar X model (60W), made up of high-quality LEDs (osram), is capable of generating a full spectrum and balancing the quantity and quality of light reaching the plants.
- Luminaires. If we have to highlight an LED lighting system, in this case the Spiderlux brand brings us the best luminaire on the market, the 8-bar model X (800W). It is capable of generating a full spectrum that will allow you to grow crops of the best quality thanks to the core formed by OSRAM (intense red diodes) and SAMSUNG chips. Another luminaire that we cannot leave without mentioning is the Titan Solux Pro (4-120W System), a panel that is divided into several points of light that combine various spectra necessary for the development of crops.
Types of spectra for your crops
Within this group we find the SPIDERLUX brand LED lighting system model C (100W). It is a modular system based on bars made up of 6500k diodes, as well as being compact, easy to assemble and use. In short, an ideal system to use in the processes of germination of seeds and cuttings in trays, both for propagation and for cloning.
The 35W The Brookes 2.0 LED luminaire is also an ideal system for this phase, as it is ideal for cuttings, seedlings and shoots due to its high power. It also has photosynthetic radiation, reduces stress on seedlings and has an aluminum dissipator.
These types of LEDs provide a full spectrum being the closest thing to sunlight. Using this type of spectrum will allow us to cover various phases of the crop without having to change the luminaire. Among the Full Spectrum LED lights we highlight:
- Spiderlux. The spiderlux Model X LED is capable of generating a full spectrum that will allow you to grow crops of the best quality. In addition, this system is composed of high quality LEDs (osram), capable of balancing the quantity and quality of light that reaches the plants.
- The Jackson. It is a full spectrum LED luminaire with an exclusive formula specially designed for growing cannabis. Designed for growth and flowering, it guarantees homogeneity of light in 60x30cm due to its large emission surface. It also reduces stress on plants thanks to the lower heat emitted by LEDs compared to HPS lamps. Within this family we find the high performance LED luminaire (150W) Y the dimmable LED luminaire (200W)
- Titan Solux. A professional equipment developed for cultivation that combines two LED technologies to achieve maximum efficiency during all stages of the plant. The panel is divided into several light concentration points that combine various spectra and the maximum power of each block is approximately 80W and is set not to exceed 23W to ensure maximum performance and durability over time. In FlorProhibida you can find the version with 4 LEDs and 120W or the version with 9 LEDs and 270W.
- Galaxy system. A high-performance, full-cycle lighting solution for commercial cultivation, with the ability to adapt the intensity of light according to the vegetative phase your plants are in, changing it according to specific needs during growth and flowering. In addition, it can illuminate all kinds of vertical racks and grow tables with precise and even light on the plant canopy.
- Solux Kappa. This series has been developed for efficient use in large interior projects, although you can also use it for your personal use projects. Kappa provides high light intensities with a massive photon flux density to achieve the best harvests, consuming less electricity and maximizing the exposed surface area by distributing the light emission points along the aluminum profile.
In the flowering phases we must use bulbs designed to complement the light of your crop and reach the corners where the bulb does not reach, thus achieving much more generous harvests in weight, size and quality of the buds.
The SmartBooster led spotlight (25W) is an ideal solution for this phase since we can change the spectrum whenever we want to make the most of the growth and flowering stage. In addition, as they barely generate heat, it will not be noticed in our growing area,
Red light is the perfect light for the flowering phase, so it is convenient to use led bulbs such as the FRPenetrator (25W) to complement the spectrum of our bulbs, whether they are sodium or low consumption. We can also use them as the main light source by joining at least 2 FRPenetrator, depending on the size of the crop.
The Mantis It is one of the best UV enhancers for resins that you can find on the market. This luminaire will improve the smell and taste of our flowers. In addition to the potency in the resins and preventing pests from appearing, it will provide us with more cannabinoids and more terpenes. It will also reduce stress on plants thanks to the lower heat emitted by LEDs compared to HPS lamps.
LED grow lights for growing cannabis
With LED lights, you will generally get better results with many smaller LED panels, as opposed to a few large LED panels. For example, you will often get better results with 2 125W LEDs (250W total) than with a single LED model producing 250W. This is because the more panels, the easier it will be to distribute the light to where you need it.
When it comes to growing cannabis, LED models with 3W chipsets (each individual bulb is 3W) will give you better performance per watt without having to worry too much about burning plants with light.
You should always look at the “actual power consumption”, which is the amount of electricity that the LED panel actually consumes. When comparing different LED grow lights, this is the closest thing to a side-by-side comparison.
Generally, your goal with LED panels should be a minimum of 150 to 450 watts per square meter of grow space for the best results.
Leave us your comments and questions about any questions that may arise about this type of LED lights, enter Florprohibida and visit our online store where you will find everything you need for your cannabis cultivation to be successful.