Honey is widely used for its flowery and pleasant taste, its sweetening power (it is called “good sugar”) and… a lot of other virtues! Among them, we find a hydrating power, antibacterial effects and a certain restorative power, in particular with regard to the healing of wounds. CBD is no longer to present with its soothing, relaxing and relaxing effects in particular. The association of the two products therefore seems obvious. Weedy today tells you everything there is to know about cannabis honey and gives you his CBD cannabis honey recipe favorite: easy to make, use and store!
What is cannabis honey?
The easiest way to define cannabis honey is to start by saying what it is not. It is not thus, contrary to what one might think:
- Not a honey from cannabis (which would be naturally produced by bees foraging on cannabis pollen): a French beekeeper tried to sell his “cannamiel” directly produced by his bees. It was, however, false information.
- Nor a honey in which cannabis has steeped: cannabinoids are liposoluble (soluble in oil and not in water), immersing CBD flowers directly in honey would not allow it to benefit from the virtues of cannabidiol and other cannabinoids.
Cannabis honey, if you want to take advantage of the effects of CBD, therefore consists of a mixture of honey and a fatty substance that has been infused with legal cannabis.
We immediately give you a very easy CBD cannabis honey recipe to reproduce at home.
CBD Cannabis Honey Recipe
On the hardware side, you should get away with the staples of any kitchen, even the smallest.
- A saucepan
- 2 jars or other hermetically sealed containers
- 1 cheesecloth (alternative: a tea ball used as a filter is perfect for the job)
- 1 mixer
- 1 jar of honey of 500g, ideally organic
- 5g of quality CBD flowers, certified and legal like those from the Weedy store
- 180g coconut oil
- Tap water
- Decarboxylate CBD cannabis : roughly chop the buds then dry them in the oven for 30/40 minutes at 120 ° C, turning them once or twice.
- Infuse cannabis in coconut oil: Place the CBD crumbs (in cheesecloth or tea ball) and coconut oil in a jar, closing the lid tightly. Heat a little water in a saucepan, then place the pot (the water should be halfway up) then keep the mixture in this bain-marie for about two hours. The water can simmer, but you don’t need to have big boils.
- Remove the CBD crumbs and let cool.
- Combine honey and infused coconut oil using the blender until a homogeneous consistency is obtained.
- Pour your CBD cannabis honey into a jar and close: it’s ready!
Learn more about CBD cannabis honey
Why decarboxylate CBD flowers?
The decarboxylation of cannabis transforms the CBDA, naturally produced by the fresh plant, into CBD. Without her, the effects of CBD will be absent from your cannabis honey, or in any case not very marked. The same principle is used to make cannabutter.
Which CBD flowers to choose for your cannabis honey?
The ones you want! Any flower may be suitable for making your own cannabis honey. The advantage of a homemade recipe is that you can use your favorite variety. For example, we recommend a Red Berry CBD if you like red fruits, a Mango Haze for a more exotic honey or the peppery and tangy aromas of the famous Amnesia Haze. Or why not a CBG flower for a CBG and CBD cannabis honey!
Cannabis honey can be used like any other honey: on its own, in toast, for cooking and baking, and why not as a substitute for sugar in excellent CBD cookies.
Be careful though, CBD cannabis honey remains a powerful product: start slowly, until you know how much meets your expectations. The ingestion of CBD is a method of taking that requires up to several hours to diffuse its effects. No need to swallow the whole pot, hoping for faster or more marked effects.
Is there a quick recipe for making CBD honey?
If you are short of time or if your primary goal is to mask the special taste of cannabis, you can also simply mix your usual dose ofCBD oil in a spoon of honey before consumption. No need to cook and the taste is easily masked. On the other hand, you do not benefit from the aromatic side provided by a specific CBD cannabis strain.
How long to store CBD cannabis honey?
Most beekeepers advise consuming a jar of honey within two years. However, honey naturally contains bacteriostatic agents : it simply means that bacteria cannot grow there. Honey therefore does not expire and can be kept… until it runs out!
Coconut oil does not go moldy either. On the other hand, it oxidizes (the taste and the smell change, sometimes for something really unpleasant). The safest is therefore to rely on the recommended use date on your oil. In general, your CBD cannabis honey can therefore easily be stored for several months.