Chronic insomnia is a disease that affects 4 million Spanish adults. That is to say, between 10 and 15% of the population has difficulties falling asleep naturally (35% if we analyze this problem worldwide) and is forced to resort to expensive treatments that also are not always completely successful. effective. That is not to mention a long list of side effects associated with the consumption of this type of drug, which can sometimes be more difficult to cope with than the symptoms of the disease themselves.
Cannabis use is presented as a much more natural alternative to help us fall asleep during the night and enjoy a deep and pleasant rest that allows us to perform to the best of our abilities during the day without the trace of the side effects left by drugs of artificial chemical origin.
Why does marijuana help you sleep?
Whether you are a regular smoker or not, you may be surprised that cannabis is being talked about as a solution to insomnia. It is true that certain varieties of this plant are the antithesis of what we could consider a natural remedy for falling asleep.
Not surprisingly, the relationship between marijuana and the treatment of insomnia is an issue that has long had its defenders and detractors. But it is not a question of dismantling myths but of perspective. And what seems obvious is that no one is going to be able to close an eye smoking a marijuana with a sativa dominance. But things change substantially when they are chosen Indica varieties specifically oriented for medicinal purposes and with higher percentages of cannabidiol (CBD), the non-psychoactive cannabinoid that also serves to reduce the psychoactive effects of THC or tetrahydrocannabinol.
CBD is responsible for marijuana having a long list of therapeutic applications, including the treatment of migraines, glaucoma, depression and anxiety, nausea, fibromyalgia or seizures. In the specific case of the treatment of insomnia, it is the simultaneous action of CBD and THC that makes it possible for the consumer to fall asleep much deeper and longer than usual.
The answer lies in the chemical reactions that naturally occur in the brain when smoking marijuana and triggering the endocannabinoid system, responsible for regulating sleep, among many of its functions.
Effects of marijuana before going to bed
Medications for going to sleep are highly addictive and don’t always deliver as promised. But infusions of valerian, lavender, and rosemary are not always potent enough to cope with a condition as serious as insomnia.
Those who cannot fall asleep know how desperate this situation can be and when it comes time to go to bed, nervousness, anguish and stress increase. The inability to sleep is something that feeds for these feelings and when the most remedies orthodox they don’t work maybe it’s time to try other alternatives.
The use of marijuana is one of those solutions that for the moment in Spain will not prescribe any doctor but in countries where the use of cannabis from a therapeutic perspective is already regulated, it would not be a surprising practice. In any case, if you have made the decision to start using marijuana to solve your insomnia problem, during the first weeks of treatment, monitor your situation very closely to make sure that the symptoms you usually suffer from do not worsen and that, for On the contrary, the improvement is evident in some of these aspects:
- You get to sleep as soon as you get into bed.
- The dream is deeper.
- You sleep for more hours.
- Improves breathing during sleep.
Cannabis strains for falling asleep
As we have already mentioned above, not all cannabis strains are suitable for fighting insomnia. Even with those most popular in the treatment of this disease, it is recommended that you try different types of marijuana before choosing the one that is most convenient for you because each person can manifest a more or less intense reaction despite being the same type of plant.
The following five strains are characterized by being indica-dominant (sativas are generally much more stimulating) and by their popularity in the medical marijuana market.
- Northern Lights: it is not a strictly therapeutic type of marijuana. In fact, Northern Lights is among the three most popular varieties internationally. This is due to the fact that it is a favorite among consumers who are looking for cannabis of an indica nature and very relaxing. Here you can buy the feminized version of the Sensi Seeds bank, among others …
- Blue Mystic: its smell is fruity and its flavor is somewhat sweet. But what is really important is its effect. A high so immediate that it is best to smoke it when you are about to go to bed.
- Black Domina: the ease with which it can be grown and the abundance of its yields has made this perfect indica strain very popular for growers newbies and for those looking for a cannabis that allows them to relax and sleep like a baby.
- CBD Shark Shock: in this top 5 of varieties of cannabis to treat insomnia is marijuana with a higher percentage of CBD and that is why it is usually used as an alternative to alleviate the symptoms of pathologies related to both sleep disorders and muscle-related ailments. It shares with Blue Mystic that sweet, fruity aftertaste.
- Pain Killer: it is a sedative marijuana and as its name suggests it has important analgesic properties. Taken into the realm of sleep, they translate into a muscle relaxation so extreme that it will make you fall asleep in a more.